We are excited to announce the second annual NXNW 48 Hour Film Challenge for High School Students! Submitted films will be posted online and will be eligible for acceptance into the 2017 NXNW Film Festival in November. Cash prizes are available to the winners of this challenge!
HOW IT WORKS
Step 1: Form a team. Find a few people who can work together to create a film within 48 hours. You’ll need an idea person who can dream up the script/story, technical people who can shoot and edit and actors. The primary person registering the team must be a high school student.
Step 2: Report to the KICKOFF EVENT either in person or online. Here you will receive the following items that must appear in your film:
- A line of dialogue
- A specific character
- A specific prop
Step 3: Work with your team to create a film of any genre utilizing the required items at least once in the story. (This ensures that your film was created within the 48 hour time period).
- The 48 Hour Film Challenge will occur between Friday at 7pm and the following Sunday at 7pm local time. This is the Official Time Period.
- Each participating team must complete its film in time to upload or deliver it to a location to be announced on Sunday by 7:30pm. (This information will be provided at the Kickoff Event)
- Only works that meet the deadline will be officially part of the competition.
All creativity must take place during the Official Time Period. Any creative work in advance of the competition weekend is prohibited. Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
- Writing the script
- Costume/Set Design
- Sound Design
The only work to begin prior to the Official Time Period is:
- Organizing Crew
- Organizing Cast
- Securing Equipment
- Scouting/Securing Locations
All footage must be shot within the Official Time Period of the project. No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used. Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the Official Time Period. Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has the rights to them. At the event, each group must submit a complete Team Leader's Agreement, signed by its team leader. A team may not participate without submitting this agreement. The required Character and Prop must be seen on-screen. The required Line of Dialogue must be used verbatim. It may be spoken, sung and/or written. To qualify as an Official Entry, each group must fill out the NXNW 48 Film Challenge Registration Form. The finished film must be a maximum of 3 minutes in duration. Before the finished film begins, the media should have... A title card with Team Name and Film Title Films should be submitted in .mov or .mp4 format.
- No profanity
- No sexually explicit content or imagery
- No excessive portrayals of gratuitous violence (gunshots, gore)
- No excessive horror (Monsters, demons, scary images)
- No blasphemy (dishonoring the name of God or Jesus)
- Keep in mind that this festival is attended by families with small children and if your film is too mature we will be forced to disqualify it.
COPYRIGHT AND FAIR USE GUIDELINES
As students you may use a certain amount of copyrighted material in the creation of your films: Copyright law allows for 10% of a copyrighted work to be used without obtaining permission. That's the equivalent of 30 seconds of music if a song is 5 minutes long.
JUDGING AND AWARDS
- Your film can be any genre: Comedy, Drama, Action, Thriller, or Animation (or other?)
- We will award two prizes: A Jury Award of $250, and an Audience Favorite Award of $250, where the audience will vote for their favorites on the night of the festival. Two Honorable Mentions (no cash prize) will be chosen in each category.
- Winners will also be screened at the NXNW Film Festival Event in November at Harkins Norterra.
Films may be submitted as a downloadable link to this web address: https://www.hightail.com/u/DamonEvans.